Thursday, April 19, 2018

Painting 74-Z Speeder Bikes

74-Z Speeder Bikes



I used the following paints and supplies:


Vallejo Model Color
Black
Gunmetal Grey
Flat Earth
German Camo Beige WWII
Dark Grey
Ivory
White

Other Products
Tamiya Surface Primer (Gray)
Vallejo Black Wash
Testors Spray Lacquer, Clear Coat
Vallejo Gloss Varnish

After assembling the speeder bikes with superglue (minus the handlebars and foot pedals), I used poster putty and wooden kebab skewers to mount the bikes and the scout troopers. Then I primed them in gray.

Biker scouts primed in gray (I've already painted the handlebars here)

I then used a 1 to 1 mix of Black and Gunmetal Grey to paint the outriggers (these are the long rods that connect the steering vanes to the rest of the bike), exposed engine parts, blaster cannon, pedals, and handlebars. The main body and steering vanes were done in Flat Earth. I decided to use German Camo Beige for the seats and bedrolls, though Dark Grey would be more movie accurate.

The bikes with a base coat

Next I used Black Wash. On the top bike, I used a paper towel to wipe some of the wash off the larger flat panels; this created some depth and a slightly weathered look. On the bottom bike I didn't wipe any of the was off. Since I used black rather than a brown wash, it made a very dirty, grimy look.

After applying black wash- different techniques produce noticeably different results

For the scout troopers, I used a 4:1 mix of Dark Grey and Black to paint all the black areas of the uniforms and the blaster pistols. Then I went over these areas with the Black Wash. Next I used a 1:1 mix of Ivory and White to paint the armor.

Almost done

With the base colors and washes taken care of, I added some highlights; straight White on to the top of the helmets and shoulders, and a drybrush of Gunmetal Grey onto the guns, handlebars, and outriggers. Finally, I sprayed them with the Clear Coat and went over the white armor with the Gloss Varnish. (You can also use Satin Varnish for a more subdued shine.)

Return to Painting page

No comments:

Post a Comment